Charles Town, West Virginia
Historic Charles Washington Hall Market
Restoration and Adaptive Reuse
City of Charles Town, West Virginia
39° 17' 20.54" N 77° 51' 36.88" W
Landmarks SGA served as the lead project architect and preservation consultant, along with Stromber/Garrigan & Associates for the comprehensive restoration of the historic Charles Washington Hall. The structure is an 1874 market house and meeting hall located at the core of Charles Town's historic district. The site was dedicated in 1786 by Charles Washington, brother of George Washington and founder of Charles Town. The project included the design, engineering, permitting, and construction documentation required to construct a regional Commuter Transit Center at Charles Washington Hall, along with a regional visitor's center and the restoration of the historic second floor theater.
This project included a historical analysis which identified character-defining features and set parameters for meeting the Secretary of the Interior's Standards. Landmarks SGA was responsible for preparing the historic research, presentation plans, and specifications along with supporting documentation.
West Virginia AIA Honor Award for Excellence in Preservation, Preservation Alliance of West Virginia Downtown Preservation Award
Adaptive Reuse, Conservation & Preservation